Wednesday, June 23, 2004

What In The World?

I have a dog that likes to chase butterflies and dragonflies. Why can’t we all be so inclined?
My dog flops on her back in the grass, tongue all hung out, twisting back and forth with abandon under a noon sun. Why are we so stiff, so inflexible, so indifferent?
I have a dog who licks anyone she meets. Why do we recoil from extending tender mercies?
I have a dog who would give her life to save mine. How many of us can make a similar statement?
My dog gives love unconditionally. Why can’t we?
I have a dog that lives life to her fullest. What stops us?
My dog is supremely happy everyday. Why are we not?
I have a dog that at least will sniff a stranger’s butt. We don’t even look each other in the eye...
I have a dog who hates gunfire. We worship the very things that bring the death and destruction..
My dog doesn’t question, just is, and does. What happened to our instincts?
My dog has faith I will do the right thing. We have lost ours.
My dog doesn’t judge anyone. We do.
My dog has no capacity for lying. We can’t stop.
My dog ...my dog doesn’t hate other dogs different than she...

I have a dog. ...A dog who doesn’t wish for anything other than to be, and is greater than the sum of her parts.
We know better. ...Or we should. And yet we descend into madness.
What in the world made us lose our way?

I have a dog who likes to chase butterflies...
Why can’t we all be so inclined?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home