Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A Swagger and a Matter of Fact

There was this girl This oriental girl. A waitress.
It’s not like she was obvious and all, but the more I watched, the more intrigued I became with her super human efficiency. And done so without drama, without much in the way of effort to my well trained eye. With a dancer’s grace she worked the room with what bordered on military precision, possessing an almost telepathic sixth sense knowing exactly what you were thinking right when you were about to say it. And better yet, while I watched and took notes on this utterly feline performance, she worked me. Like she meant it. And she did, I soon found out.
A most personable mug, she had me from the, “Welcome!”, quickly followed by an impish smile, never once jotting down a bit of my order, only nodding with Germanic rigidity when I aired my wants. And when finished, she spun on her heel and whoosh! away she went, flashing a beautiful set of pearlies over her crisp, white, uniformed shoulder as she strode away with an Olympian’s purpose. A woman on a mission. Without doubt. Without any parts of second guessing. In the zone.
I felt in good hands.
The egg rolls were a notch above most. My palette critical, yet satisfied.
As I continued to nosh she worked the room like a machine, always in constant movement, a pick up of a plate here, a swipe of a napkin there, another order here, pick up tip there, turn and barely miss another waiter scurrying to a table with a platter of steaming dishes here, nod her head and welcome another couple entering there, and striding back to the kitchen, never once stopping, a ballet of pure motion
Shortly she set down a bowl of soup in front of me, turned and left. I looked down and noticed there wasn’t a spoon. As I was about to say, “Uh, miss, could you bring me a spoon, please?”, without turning or stopping, she kept walking away, holding her index finger in the air to punctuate her statement, and said, “Need a spoon, yeah?”
I erupted in an ear to ear.
Next I looked up, there she stood, holding a napkin like a gameshow display model, “Yes, or No?”, her head cocked to the side, awaiting my reply in all earnestness.
I accepted the napkin then she flitted off with her dancer’s skill, a study in grace and focused certainty.
For the rest of the meal I didn’t want for anything. Nor did anyone else in the room, I noticed.
Her personable nature contrasting her exacting efficiency made the meal a total joy, a resounding success, not to mention the groceries were top notch. That aspect certainly didn’t hurt. Still, to see someone so "in" to their job, performing at the top of her game, doing her level best to make this experience the absolute best I could ever expect, earned my respect, made me appreciate her commitment to the job, the task at hand, as well as giving credit to the person I knew her to be when “offstage”. So many times in life, no matter where you are in whatever business you find yourself, you meet drab, uninspired people who certainly don’t want to be there much less have to deal with YOU. You know the kind. This woman was so refreshing. She and ones like her make this life infinitely more beautiful, more aromatic, more inspiring.
As I paid my bill, tummy full and happy, she came over, grabbed my hand with hers, and with her other pointed towards my truck and the awaiting dog sat inside the cab.
“Is that your dog?” she asked.
“Yes ma’am, sure is.” I replied.
“He must be saying bring me some Chinese food!” Then she squeezed my hand, giggled, and strode away, out of my life forever.

I didn’t share the food with the hairy four-legged one.
But I share this woman with you.
She made my day.

Take note. Do yourself and everyone else a favor. Love what you do. Or go do something else.
Makes the world go ‘round rather nicely, a little smoother than before. And in this day and age, we need all the help we can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home