Thursday, September 23, 2004

Life, where once there was none

Walking through a field, I looked down at that spread of yellow faces who looked up at me in abject terror, silently pleading with me to not step on them, possibly rending them broken and dying with one step, their beauty and vitality crushed forever by one errant step.
Most folks wouldn’t even have looked and ground the yellow faces into the black mud, their lives tromped to nothing. But something sweet is growing in me, making me appreciate more and more the precious life that thrives and teems all around us, life that most of us ignore, or take for granted. Who am I? Who are we? Put it into perspective.
As a good citizen of planet earth I cannot take even the most innocent and innocuous of life for granted anymore. No matter how slight.
I carefully stepped through the flowers, leaving them be, if only to live for a week or so, but a week or so where their fragile lives will make all the difference, the earth a much more beautiful place.
And it was.
Yellow faces cheered my decision. I threw the tennis ball and my dog took off running. My nuts hung low.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home