Friday, September 24, 2004

Some Kind of Monster - A Letter to a Friend

R9,
I cannot get this film out of my mind. There have been specific works or acts that I've been privy to witness and absorb in my life, that for whatever reason, tended to light a most holy fire under my ass and gave me inspiration that I didn't expect. I must say that the Metallica movie I saw last night, 'Some Kind Of Monster", is beginning to shape up as one of those once in a lifetime divine inspirations. That film, at its core, is intended to reach many people who will understand the purpose, but that isn't what the filmmakers nor the band set out to do. Something pure and special eventually was imparted, in a most unusual wrapping. So to even pursue this adventure a most different cut of cloth is required to recognize the lessons contained therein.
There is much of the dynamic between two characters in this movie that you and I are sharing in our everyday. I saw two adults deal with some really heavy issues between them, and with some very challenging creative responsibilities (to whom? themselves...) and they managed and came out of it on the other side to only embrace something bigger than themselves or what they've created. Divine.
I can only say that I consider this movie absolutely a must see for you. I almost want to say that I demand you see it, but I won't. I think in your heart of hearts you want to see it, and you're really not sure why, but trust me, that purpose will unveil itself and you, like I, will find this film very remarkable for what it gives you, and us in particular, given what we are undertaking.
Please go see it, and sit back, and wait.... the answers will make themselves apparent, and you will leave the theater a different person than when you entered. This movie is that important. To all? Hardly... But to us, invaluable.
-wdw2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home