Friday, October 29, 2004

Shattered

I watched a man's heart break today. Right in front of my eyes this man's world shattered and I could feel his pain and anguish and my heart went to hurting right along with his. What made the situation all the more strange was I hardly knew the man, and then to make it more interesting, the man was foreign; Middle Eastern, it would appear.
He'd been living in the same building as I do, but more infrequently; two weeks here, two weeks there. When he was `in residence' he was never without a smile, a warm handshake, a kind word. Whenever in his presence you could feel that here stands a gentle man. Humbleness and humility tattooed his visage.
One night, walking through the foyer to my room, he emerged from around the corner, all smiles and an open palm. After we traded a few 'hello hi are yous' he asked, "My car is towed, is possible you take me somewhere in morning"?
I didn't waste a breath. "Sure", I said.
Next morning, against every core belief, every thought I hold dear -we are all God's children- I became nervous and suspect because of his nationality, and for this I grew ashamed, embarrassed.
At the appointed time there he was, all smiles, briefcase in hand. "Hello, my friend!" he said, shaking my hand with gusto. "Thank you so much for taking me this morning", his tongue thick with what sounded to me to be a Lebanese accent.
We departed.
As we exited the parking lot he gave me directions to the north end of town. I asked him what he did for a living. He replied, "I inventor", then he opened his briefcase and pulled out a picture of a most unusual looking car lift; a portable one that was decidedly different in design from any I'd ever seen."See how it gets tall so fast?" he said. "That's when it strongest. Unlike regular lift which is weak when tall. No other lift like this in world." He put all his papers back in the briefcase, then he shut it. "I know lots of things", he said..
"What are you going to do with it?" I asked.
"I try to get it back as big company in Houston steal idea from me. So I see lawyer today."
I was confused. "I thought you wanted to get your car?"
"No", he said, "car is brothers in Houston, so I can't get car. You are taking me to lawyer. Is okay? I will take cab back if long, but today should be about ten minute".
Needless to say, as much as I hated to admit it, I grew slightly suspicious.
During the drive he kept checking his reflection in the visor mirror, pulling his thinning hair down over his forehead. I felt like I was in a Hitchcock movie.
Eventually we pulled into the parking lot of two stark, black glass buildings. "Wait here", he said, crawling from my truck, "I go see. If long, I come back and tell you so you can go. Okay?"
Fear had taken roost in his eyes, anxiety distorting his body.
"Sure", I said.
The man was gone about thirty minutes. When he returned he wasn't the same person. All life had fled his body. His eyes vacant. His smile gone. He got into the truck and said, "That quick", then he never said another word all the way home. Obviously the meeting had not gone in his favor and the realization of his predicament was crushing him. He hurt. I, in turn, hurt for him.
We live in a world that is straining mankind's ability to love one another, especially one whose culture, customs, and beliefs are vastly different from our own. And according to the various media spins that we, as Americans, endure on a daily basis, the dark, swarthy man from a region of intolerance and seeming madness isn't to be trusted, or loved, only feared and hated.
Is this how God would want us to behave?
As if to answer my inner questions, right before turning into the parking lot of our temporary home, the man suddenly said, "You know, American people are wonderful. Very kind. Very friendly. I love this country. America is good. Just like you, my friend, helping me when I needed it most. You helped me. A Lebanese man. Like God would want".
That's how I want to be remembered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home