Sunday, December 12, 2004

Caught Between Heaven and Hell

As my sensibilities become more acute, I’m more aware of how sounds can affect you in any given situation. Living in the country, completely devoid of any man made sound, I found myself to be more in touch with my thoughts, internally in tune with myself and the world around me. Peace. Calm. Is it any wonder in the cities people become disenfranchised with themselves, given over to the hustle and bustle that thrives there, progress by any other name? A dangerous proposition for the mental health of the city dwellers, even though most would initially poo poo the idea caught up in the daily grind they’ve become accustomed to; sociological addicts, like rats on speed in a lab experiment. More and more I find sound waves are a force to be reckoned with, and can make the difference between sanity and insanity, calmness and befuddlement, clarity and confusion.
Never was that more clear than the day before when a trip to my local grocery store gave me a glimpse into the divide between heaven and hell, and the effect was most startling.
Stepping from my truck and walking towards the store, I was met by a topiary of bird songs. Everyday at sunset, thousands of birds gather around this store, parking themselves on anything possible. The power lines are full. The trees are full. And their songs are ubiquitous and soothing, melodious and comforting. As I walked to the front doors the gentle melodies washed over me and life took on new meaning. Heaven on earth. Bliss.
As soon as I walked through the doors to the supermarket I was met by eternal hell. The chinging of the cash registers, voices distorted on the public address system, all manner of ringers on way too many cell phones, just an assault on the senses, and none too pleasing either. No matter where I walked there was incessant noise, all geared toward enlightening us, keeping us in touch, directing us. Blather Blather Blather Blather Blather!
It was all I could do to get what I came for and leave as quickly as possible before I lost my mind!
The first thing I hear when I depart the store is the mellifluous tones of the birds warbling their songs. Ahhhhh, bliss again.....
Next thing I know a car pulls beside me and I hear the entire vehicle shake and rattle with a booming, crushing bass note, then I hear a voice in the soundtrack shouting for all the parking lot to hear, “Shake that ass, bitch! Dip it low, dip it low dip it low dip it low!”
There isn’t any escape.
Give me space. Give me quiet. Give me nothing.
I’ll leave the madness to the rest of you; progress by any other name... Dip it low.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home