Friday, October 29, 2004

Baptism

Normally I would’ve headed for the hills, but an insurmountable, unquestioning, magnetic curiosity kept me on the bank of the river as deep, ominous rolls of thunder peeled across the twilight sky. A charcoal blanket looked to smother the town, while the hiss of rain tickled the opposing shore. My expectation was as a child, unknowing, unsuspecting, and terrifyingly gleeful.
A giant hand of rain swam across the surface of the river, coming to scoop me and take me far away. I waited. Swollen with desire. Inflamed.
Soon enough the hand reached me and parted, rain to my left, rain to my right, and the air grew thick, sweet with lavender, a curtain of mist baptizing me anew. Crack of thunder and rain pelted the ground with renewed vigor and still, I stood immune to the storm. A thousand miles away. Cocooned.
Lingering long enough to feel the first fat plops of water tap me upon my shoulders, I was swallowed, instinctively stepping back into the mouth of an evergreen tree where it was quiet and still. The rain continued bathing the world, giving us a another chance, doing its best to right our worst, and I stood there, protected, my planet of women on either side, invigorated by the bluster, the magnificence, the audacity.
Too soon, the rain began to slacken, the clouds parting til the sun lit up the woods, electrifying the trees; diamonds and pearls dripping from the leaves; the blades of grass sparkling crystal. The rain continued to fall, the devil beating his wife, and it was then that I stepped out from the mouth and greeted the new day, refreshed for the journey ahead, rich beyond measure, and soon to be... wet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home